Sunday, September 22, 2013

Attending Family Events....not possible with autism

Trenton had had a great weekend! We were successful on our IPad again today with picking something out to eat. At supper time he hit the spaghetti button. Therefore, I served him spaghetti and he ate it and was very happy! Two days in a row!!! YAY!!!! I hope and pray this keeps going!

On Saturday, I had a cousin get married. I would have LOVED to have attended the wedding. I had intentions on attending and leaving behind my boys and husband. However, as the day approached I didn't go. I didn't go for a few reasons. First, I was so sleep deprived and felt like complete crap. The things a person body does when they are so deprived from sleep is very scary. Several times throughout my days I feel like I don't feel my face. My face is tingly and just does not feel normal. Very hard to explain.  Two, the extra pounds I have packed on from stress makes my wardrobe extremely small. Being the mother to a special needs child does not contain time to travel and go shopping for the day. THAT JUST DOES NOT HAPPEN! Three, it is very hard to go to public events or to ANY event when I know my family can't be there also. If we were a normal family, we would all be there. However, we aren't normal. I simply did not want to go somewhere if I couldn't go with my family. Four, I would have to look around at all the other normal families there and that is enough to make a person even more depressed than what they already are.  Don't get me wrong, I am VERY HAPPY that many many families in my area don't live the life we live. However, it is just very difficult on some days to see what life could be like. Some days it is easier to handle than others. To be honest, on Saturday I was so sleep deprived that if I would have attended the family event......well....more than likely, I would have been in the bathroom crying my sorrows away. Sleep deprivation brings out many emotions especially on this journey. Therefore, my cousins wedding goes on the list of very important functions that we were unable to attend.....AND IT WAS ONLY FIVE MINUTES FROM OUR HOUSE. On that list has been two very close family members funerals, another wedding, and many other family functions No matter the distance, we simply can not attend functions.



When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears, and rescues them from all their troubles. (Psalm 34:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment