Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Hand Foot Mouth

I'm going to tell you what Hand Foot and Mouth Disease does to a child with autism......

I didn't know that you can have this and not have a temperature. Andrew was sick for 24 hours, running a fever before he broke out in his rash. Trenton did not do this. Trenton just slowly started to get a rash on his mouth, a few on his hands, a few on his feet, and then on his legs. No fever though. No fever means he isn't contagious and is good to go.

After another nightmarish night last night ( see details in bottom of this post), Trenton appeared fine this morning besides a few sores on his mouth and feet. We went to school as normal and he did good. I picked him up from school and we were on our way to Effingham for ABA therapy with Heather. About ten minutes before we arrived, he started to scream from his car seat and waving his hands in the air. I put my hand up in the air and angled my hand in the back towards him. HE grabs my hand and tried to put it on his legs. I knew something was wrong. This continued until we arrived at therapy. As I got him out of the car, I noticed he had a few spots on his legs and he DID NOT like seeing these spots on his legs. He wanted his legs wrapped up in his blankets so he couldn't see them. This reminded me of the time he had his surgery and did not like the IV in his hand. He covered his hand with his blanket and refused to use his hand until the IV came out.

Anyway, we walk into therapy having a huge tantrum. Today, there were about ten people in the waiting area and Trenton drops to the ground and starts stimming. It is a very sad sight when he does his floor stim. I kept on stopping him by picking him up. I did this several times and each time I picked him up he screamed and it was sharp enough to pierce through glass.

He went into therapy a few minutes later and surprisingly he did well after the first ten minutes which was spent screaming. Therapy got his mind off of his rash. On the way home from therapy, he screamed the whole time. I listened to ear piercing screams for 45 minutes. He had to have his legs wrapped in all four blankets so he could not see or even come close to seeing his rash. I could not get home fast enough. My nerves were completely shot by the time I got home. I immediately took him in his bedroom and put long pants on him so he couldn't see them. He was completely happy as soon as he got long pants on.

Nothing. Nothing. I mean nothing can appear on Trenton's skin without him having a tantrum or meltdown. He needed a band aid the other day at school and he had a fit about that. Every time he scraps his leg or knee playing outside, he tries to cover it up for awhile. Thank goodness for long pants and long shirts!!!!!

Trenton's sleep issue has not improved yet. In fact, last night was just about as bad as it could get. It took all my will power not to step out on my porch and scream bloody murder at the top of my lungs at 1:00 AM. Trenton had a one hour and 20 minute meltdown. Our first meltdown in weeks. To top it off, it was in the middle of the night. These are the worst kind. By meltdown..... I mean....crying with not knowing how to stop, screaming and not knowing how to stop, kicking, hitting, throwing his body around on the ground and not knowing how to stop and control himself. Every time I tried to help, I got kicked and hit at,  and my hair pulled. His eyes were almost swollen shut from crying and he could not catch his breath.  Honestly, it was my strength through Christ who literally kept me from going haywire on my front porch. Thank goodness Nana kept Andrew last night and tonight. This is a huge help when Andrew doesn't feel good, Trenton can't sleep, and a husband who is working second shift.

Last night, once again, was very little sleep. Please. Please. Let us get some rest tonight!

Psalm 22:19

But you, O LORD, be not far off; O my Strength, come quickly to help me.

Psalm 28:7-8

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.  The LORD is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.

No comments:

Post a Comment