Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Few Words

Yesterday I had no words....today I have just a few words.

Andrew's first visit with the doctor ended with the doctor informing me that Andrew had social communication disorder more than likely and possibly autism. Unfortunately, it didn't take long for the doctor to notice Andrew has highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus ( strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interest). In Andrew's case it is his fixation on Cars.
Andrew's speech is the same now as it was when he was 18 months old but with more echolalia. The majority of Andrew's speech is naming objects and echolalia. The doctor noticed this right away a month ago.
The doctor also noticed his inappropriate way to socialize. Andrew is different than Trenton, Andrew can notice kids and people. However, when Andrew is around other kids he does not know what to do. Therefore, he does everything the other kid does. If the kid that Andrew is around trips and falls, Andrew trips and falls. If the kid scratches his head, Andrew scratches his head. Like the doctor said.....its good he notices but bad he does this kind of behavior.
There is much much more, but this is a very short description of the three main areas for autism that Andrew meets.
Right now, I still fee nothing. I feel like I am in a daze. When I think of juggling two boys with two intensive therapy schedules, I panic. However, I will get through it. We will survive through our strength in the Lord!

I am a Mommy to two amazing boys who have autism. I am proud to be their mom!

I will post much more later when I am not so numb.

No comments:

Post a Comment