Monday, June 16, 2014

Harsha Cognitive Center

Since January I have been in contact with Harsha Cognitive Center in Terre Haute. My first initial contact with them was in January when I was extremely sick with pneumonia. Pneumonia can't even stop me from researching and helping my boys. :)
Anyway, its been a long process but we made our first visit there today. I would have liked for this whole process to have been ready to go by the time school was out. However, we had to wait on insurance so better late than never.
Harsha Cognitive Center is a facility for children with autism. It is where Trenton and Andrew need to spend their time but unfortunately finding facilities like this is few and far between.

Trenton was evaluated for two hours today. While Trenton was being evaluated, I was being asked questions about Trenton and our home life. Within minutes of meeting Trenton, the highly educated autism experts said, "He needs a lot of help. He is on the very severe end and needs nothing less than 32 hours of therapy a week. Ideally, he needs 40 plus hours."
I already knew this but it was just another realization of the severity of  Trenton's disability.

I do have to say it is so nice to be around people who understand, who "get it", who are educated on such a hidden severe disability.
During my hour long conversation with the team of autism experts, they mentioned some things that only people who live with autism or who are highly educated on autism realize. They said one thing that stuck out in my mind. One lady said, "Do you experience a high level of anxiety and stress every day?  Are you always on guard and never feel relaxed in any situation with your child?"
I said, " Oh no I never feel relaxed anywhere. He doesn't know danger, he  does not  know what can hurt him. Therefore, this leads to a lot of stress and anxiety because I always have to be on guard. I always have to be thinking of what is Trenton going to do that might kill himself or hurt himself. I always have to be ten steps ahead of his brain in order to prevent a bad situation before it happens."


I give any free minute I have to educating myself on autism. I have to say that I believe it is paying off. I refuse to answer to the man upstairs of why I didn't give my all to my boys.

With that said, many might look at me as if I have two heads when I say that I will be taking Trenton to Terre Haute so he can receive the right training that he needs. Unfortunately, when you live in "rural America" your choices are so very limited. Therefore, you do what you need to do for your children. I would have wanted my parents to do the same for me. I refuse to go to my grave one day knowing that I didn't give my all to the boys....after all they have such a very little chance in life. I hope I can make it happen and travel two days a week so Trenton can work with some amazing autism experts.

Am I crazy? NO! I am doing what is best for the boys. Would we ever expect a deaf child to sit in a Kindergarten classroom without being taught sign language or some way to communicate? Or do we go straight to third grade from Kindergarten? NO! There is steps we have to take before we start getting to the bigger picture. When I was told today that Trenton has skills as young as a baby then the realization hits that we have a lot more  to accomplish before we can even think about attending public school all day long. Trenton needs to be in the hands of the experts in his area. He needs the one on one therapy before he can even start to master being out in public or all day school with other children around.
In fact, I was informed today that even introducing potty training is one of the worst things I could be doing for Trenton right now. When she explained why, it made perfect sense and was the exact thing I had been telling myself for so long anyway.

I will have more information on Terre Haute at a later date. We won't be able to start attending for a few weeks anyway.

Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Deuteronomy 6:5-7

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

No comments:

Post a Comment