Thursday, December 18, 2014

Olney!

We had a grief-stricken day. We had to say goodbye to our family at Olney. Two and a half years ago  in August 2012 after Trenton's diagnosis, his first therapy placement was at Richland Memorial Hospital. I was referred to them by Trenton's EI team. It was the best referral of my life!!  Trenton was diagnosed one week before I was due to start a new school year at North Clay. I was in a state of shock and grief. I was trying to manage setting up a new speech therapists and occupational therapists for Trenton, battling insurance...while getting ready to start another year teaching 4th and 5th grade special education students. I did nothing but cry. I was so sleep deprived I had no idea how I managed to put one foot in front of the other most days.

Since I was trying to work at that time, my mom, Nana, took over Trenton's therapy schedule. She drove him to his speech and occupational appointments weekly at Olney. I kept in communication with his therapist over the phone or through Nana. At this stage in Trenton's life, he didn't utter a sound other than blood curdling screams that could crack through glass in an instant. He would kick and scream walking through the therapy doors. Nana was Super Nana and battled through it. By December, I had resigned and took Trenton to therapy myself. Soon it was me that was fighting the battles of getting him to walk into the building after a sleepless night. It was Mommy that would battle getting him into the therapy room and listening to him scream bloody murder. Unfortunately, all I could do was to sit, listen, and cry....and believe me I cried A LOT at Olney! Thank goodness over time, Trenton got better and loved going to therapy. Don't get me wrong, he still had plenty of moments the 2 1/2 years we spent there twice a week but the progress he has gained there is phenomenal!!!
Two and a half years ago he didn't say a sound, screamed at strange places, didn't understand ANYTHING, never slept a wink, and cried a lot. Now he can repeat many words on good days. He is great at using, "I want" on most days after much prompting, is starting to understand a lot more, and will walk into strange places. I could make a huge list of what he can do now but couldn't then. My point is....our therapist, who I call our family at Olney, had a huge role in this!

Therefore, it was a very emotional day saying goodbye to a group of women who became more than just therapist to us. They became our family. On many days, they were my therapist too! I have shed countless tears at Olney. I shed many of tears to his therapist and the front desk ladies who put their duties on hold and listened to me cry and vent! I can't thank these ladies enough!! They were there with us from the beginning of Trenton's diagnosis and Andrew's diagnosis. They listened to me cry over my worry of Andrew when I started suspecting that something was wrong with him. They were there for me when I needed someone. They not only loved my boys, but they loved me too. The feelings were mutual! I can't tell you how much I will miss these ladies! I will be forever grateful to them on having such a tremendous impact on my boys!

As this chapter in our book closes, I can't help but thank the good Lord who placed these people in our lives!
We love you ladies!!!


  After their therapy session today, they had a party for the boys!




1 John 4:7-8

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

There is A LOT of love these ladies displayed to us and vice versa!

No comments:

Post a Comment