Monday, January 19, 2015

Social Stories & Sensory Treat

It's been awhile since I have shared some things that I use with the boys. I have talked about social stories before but not for a long time. Social stories were devised as a tool to help individuals on the autism spectrum better understand the nuances of interpersonal communication so that they could interact in an effective and appropriate manner. Social stories do the following:
  • Helps teach students routines, expectations, and behavioral standards in an alternative way
  • Reinforces correct behavior
  • Information presented in a story format
  • Provides visual examples of behavior expectations
  • Provides a more personalized and tailored behavioral intervention
  • Helps involve students in the learning process
  • Works well with students on the autism spectrum and those with ADD/ADHD
One of my favorite social stories apps can be found at this link
http://www.virtualspeechcenter.com/Resources/social_norms_app.aspx

It has a lot of different social stories that cover behavior, community, home,hygiene, manners,safety,school, etc. Every day I have been showing Andrew the social stories under the behavior column in hopes that it will help him to use "nice hands" at all times. (Andrew likes to just walk up to people and hit them.)

Another app that I am new at using but am going to really like it is called, Sensory Treat. I had an OT, who has never worked with the boys she just follows my blog, emailed me and told me about this app.  This app can be found here
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sensory-treat/id833885177?ls=1&mt

I highly recommend this app for parents of children on the spectrum who have a lot of sensory problems like Trenton.  I can manage Trenton's sensory diet from the app. I am new to using it but it appears to be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment