Monday, May 4, 2015

Picture Communication Systems

I try to imagine what it would be like to be Trenton and unable to express his desires and needs. When I really let my mind go there, it makes me ill. Ill for Trenton. Then it makes me furious at people who complain about the little things. Then it makes me even more stronger than I am to be the best mother and advocate that I can be. Then it makes me thank God for giving him to me and no one else!!! Life with autism is a rollercoaster!

To help ease his frustration when it comes to communication, I have a few things in our house to help him other than his iPad app. In our kitchen I have this...

It contains his favorite food items. In case he gets a craving for something in particular and can't tell me verbally, this is set in place for him. He has used it several times. He takes the picture of the food item that he wants and hands it to me. When he hands it to me, I make him say the name to me.
I did this for fairly cheap. Here is the link to the website where I got the pictures.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/

I bought the hanging file at the Dollar Store!!

In our bathroom is this....
It is the steps to brushing our teeth and washing our hands!

1 comment: