Monday, May 11, 2015

Toilet Training

Today Trenton started toilet training. It was a huge battle from the beginning!

He started our day at 2 AM. If you read my previous post you know that he was uncontrollable. He was running into our walls the hardest he could. He would hit a wall with his body and then lick it and lick him. I tried my best to control him and redirect him to another activity but I was unsuccessful. Words can't describe how terrible it was to try to introduce toilet training to Trenton while he was behaving like that. It is going to be a very long road ahead of me to get him toilet trained. It's a road I am not looking forward to traveling but I have to. It doesn't matter what the task is, it is always difficult with autism.

Andrew, however, is doing great at toilet training. I would say the past three weeks is when I have felt comfortable leaving the house with him in underwear. He still has at least one accident a week. I still take him to the bathroom every hour. This past weekend was the first time he told me that he had to use the bathroom. He told me three different times!!! I was so very proud of him! He even told me in the van traveling back to Terre Haute from Flora that he had to potty. I asked him to hold it until we got to our next exit and he did!! Traveling with two boys with autism is a VERY DIFFICULT task when we have to use the bathroom. We have a secret on how we do it:)

Here is a picture of Trenton's visual potty chart that is in our bathroom. If and when Trenton gets successfully toilet trained, I think I will feel like I can do anything!!! Toilet training a non verbal child with severe autism is a HUGE battle.

1 comment:

  1. Angie, My "best wishes" are sent out to you. Potty training a neuro-typical child is, at best, difficult. I have only popped my kids on the butt a handful of times, but I remember one in particular had do to with potty training. I cant imagine how you would even approach it. The poster has to be helpful and with a little luck..... Just keeping thinking, the end justifies the means. :-)

    ReplyDelete