Sunday, November 22, 2015

Potty Training!

Since March of this year I have seen more of toilets than I have ever wanted to see. I have said the word, "potty time" enough times that if I got paid by how many times I have said it the last 8 months, I'd be rich. I have been peed on, hit at, kicked at, scratched at, screamed at, and even my hair pulled at so many times that I have just wanted to crawl in a ball and cry at the end of each day. Just when I was on the brink of feeling like a failure when it came to potty training a child with severe autism, I finally saw the light this weekend! I got a glimmer of hope!

After talking to his team at Harsha, we decided to change things up at home. I ordered a portable potty and it finally came in Saturday morning. I put the potty in his room and that is where he went all day on Saturday and Sunday. One of my biggest challenges with Trenton at home was transitioning him to the toilet in the bathroom from where he was. Most of the time he would be in his room. Trenton put up some huge fights to not leave his room to go to the bathroom. Potty training was going no where at home until the portable potty came in! He gladly sits on the potty in his room and smiles and pees!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today, he didn't have an accident until 6:00 PM!!!! DO YOU KNOW HOW AMAZING THIS IS?!?!?!?

He is unable to communicate when he needs to go so it is a matter of taking him to the toilet every 30 minutes. It has been brutal and exhausting but I finally felt a glimmer of hope for Trenton this weekend! We still have many months if not years of potty training him but I can see progress and it is awesome!

2 comments: