Sunday, February 28, 2016

Piece by Piece

It has been one wild week! A week full of sickness and love. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't an emotional week too. With that said, I would love to get some of my fellow autism parents to send me a private message to discuss your take on a few things in this post.
However, first things first, and without going in to much detail, Andrew has been one very sick little boy. By Friday morning, I could just smell all the vomit in our house and I felt like it didn't matter how much I showered, I still smelled like vomit. I was glued to the rocking chair for two straight days rocking Andrew, being puked on, and checking his temperature non-stop. He FINALLY played with toys on Saturday so I know he is on the upside and hopefully will be 100% soon.
One of the highlights from this week was when the boys' coaches at Harsha told me that Andrew was coughing on Wednesday, his last day of going anywhere before he got real sick, and Trenton walked up to him and patted him on his back and kissed him. IS THAT NOT PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, the highlight of the year right there!!!

Trenton still battled a bad cough and running nose as well but he appears to be much better now too!

I have so many amazing moments with my boys daily. The joy of being a parent is the most wonderful blessing that God can give anyone. I hide a lot from this blog about the pain of divorce and what has happened.  However, I can deal with that. I deal with that by myself and with God. However, nothing has been painful to watch lately is how Andrew is dealing with his father leaving and breaking up our family. He says things to not just me but to everyone that he sees almost daily.  I hurt so bad for him. The realization of how deeply scarred he can be for the rest of his life came to me the other day when Kelly Clarkson say her song, Piece by Piece, on American Idol.  I never sat and cried so hard at a song before in a long time but that song got to me. I have attached the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FHYBQxURQo

On Thursday, Andrew and I saw a commercial about a wedding. Andrew said, " What is getting married?" I said, " One day you will find one woman that you want to love for the rest of your life and you will marry her. You will spend the rest of your life with her."
Andrew said, "I want to marry you Mommy. I won't leave you. I want ten kids and they all will have their own iPad. I will be a Daddy that stays."
It's not the first time I have heard this out of Andrew's mouth and it certainly won't be the last.
The people that I have spoke to about this tell me how divorce and a parent leaving is extremely hard on neurotyical kids so they can't imagine how hard it is for my boys.
It is on his mind 24/7. Most of the time when he says things are completely out of the blue. It is amazing what he sees and what he notices for a 4 year old little boy. With all of the said, fellow autism parents who have dealt with a spouse/parent leaving, I would love to know how your child with mild autism/Asperger's dealt with it. Send me a private message to my email, you can find under the Mommy tab. I would love to know if it got better. It has been 3 months of Andrew telling random people everywhere what has happened to him and how he feels about it. This Mommy's heart is breaking for her kids.

1 comment:

  1. I watched that video of Piece by Piece a couple of days ago and the tears flowed. I will forever be a Keith Urban fan after that. How moving that was. I cant imagine how that song spoke to you.

    ReplyDelete