Thursday, March 24, 2016

To the lady at the grocery store

A letter to the lady who judged me and my son today.....

Ma'am:

It just so happened today that we found ourselves at the exact same location at the exact same time today. I'm not sure I will ever run into you again. I highly doubt that you will ever come across this letter but I would like to share a few things with you.

Just out of curiosity, do you like it when people are rude to you? I am fairly confident that many people do not enjoy receiving rude comments and looks. I don't like receiving rude comments and looks from people who do not know me or know what the story is behind the situation.

I'm sure you were not able to tell today but my son that I had with me in the grocery store actually has mild autism. Have you ever heard of autism? Are you very familiar with hidden disabilities such as mental illnesses and all the disabilities such as autism?

Autism is a disability that affects behavior, communication, socialization, and our senses.  My son that I had with me today faces challenges with these areas. Although his challenges are mild, they are challenges.

I didn't appreciate the way you looked at my child today. I did not appreciate the way you rolled your eyes at him. I did not appreciate your ever so rude comment to me as you walked past us. Was that really necessary? Even if my child was completely neuro-typical, is it necessary to say something like that to anyone that you do not know.

No one knows what another persons goes through daily. I don't know what you have gone through in your life.  Is it really necessary that we "judge" another person and make comments like what you said to me today because you thought my child was just acting out.

I'm not blaming you for thinking that my child was just an undisciplined brat and that I was a lazy parent who didn't discipline her child. However, that could not be farther from the truth.

I would just like to nicely ask you that the next time you want to make a comment to a mother and her child like you did to me that you would think twice before you do. After all, that child just might have a hidden disability that you don't know.

Sadly, I never have the comfort of going out in public without knowing that there is a likelihood that I will receive some kind of look, comment, glare, etc from someone.  Would you like that?

All in all, it is okay. I just have the constant reminder that people really need to be educated on autism. I will never stop educating and raising awareness because of people like you. I don't want anyone to have to go through what my boys and I have. I should be able to take my children out in public without them having to face the harsh judgments and comments from the general public. If I can help make a difference, then I will continue to do so.

May God bless you all the days of your life.  I'd be more than happy to do my best to explain autism to you any time that you want.

Sincerely,
A Warrior Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment