Saturday, April 9, 2016

The First Four Years of Therapy

Time goes by so fast, doesn't it?!?!?  I often think back to all the sleepless nights I have endured since Trenton was born. Those nights seemed so long. I never thought they would end...I never thought he would close his eyes and go to sleep. Yet, as a whole, life is just flying by and going fast.
After Trenton was diagnosed I remember thinking that he is only 2 and I was  holding on to hope as to the kind of progress that we would be making before he would be Kindergarten age.
He has made amazing progress in 4 years of therapy. April marks exactly 4 years of therapy for Trenton.  4 years! It seems just like yesterday but at the same time it seems like a life time ago.

I am overjoyed at his progress for a child with severe autism. Yet, our milestones are so much smaller than a typical child's. One of the first questions that I asked almost every parent who has a child with autism was....what age was he potty trained and when he did he start talking and communicating. The magic number that I heard most of the time was 6. Trenton will be 6 this summer...we are no where close to being potty trained and no where close to speaking/communicating  other than saying juice and my name.

He has made huge strides the past 4 years. Yet at the same time, we are so far away from the most simplest things in life.

I am not a sugar coater. I know in another 6 years things will probably be about like what they are now. Trenton's autism is very severe and I know that and I have accepted that. Trenton will keep on getting bigger physically in his body but he will not be developing mentally. He will be aging but once again not growing in the simplest, easiest of life skills. I hear often from others that it will get better when he gets older. But the truth is, it really won't. Hopefully, he will be potty trained in another 6 years so hopefully that will be easier but once again, Trenton won't be growing in other areas.  The likelihood is very slim and that is given from his history of the past 4 years and how he has progressed.

Puberty brings huge issues for kids on the spectrum. Many issues and seizures is one of them. As Trenton grows up and as Andrew grows up my prayers change for them as we are getting closer and closer to the age levels that bring on many other difficulties with their disabilities.

Whatever lies ahead of us, I know I will be just fine. I keep my faith and only grow stronger in that daily.
Deuteronomy 6:5 tells us to love the Lord our God with all of our heart and all of our soul and with all of our strength. As I have said before, it is amazing how God loves us back and how he provides for us when we are his children.  I don't for one minute blame God for the life given to me and my boys. It was given to us for a reason....for many reasons....I am pretty sure i know some of the reasons already. God sure does know exactly what people need. He sure does know how to "test" people to find his true children.

As the boys and I continue on our journey in this life, we will still continue to worry and fight the battles. Our battles will be getting worse and changing as they get older. However, we are a family of three that loves the Lord with all of our heart and all of our soul and with all of our strength so I know he will make sure that we are okay:)


I tell the boys all the time that God knew what he was doing when he put us together! Love them so much....just look how cute they are:)




No comments:

Post a Comment