Thursday, May 12, 2016

Please Remove Your Son From This Building

Why do I blog? Why do I spend my only free time that I have blogging about autism? Why am I so active and involved in the autism world? WHY? WHY? WHY?

Imagine your child is in a wheelchair and the wheelchair happens to have a squeaky tire. You have an appointment to get your child to so you and your child enter the building with a squeaky tire because there is nothing you can do about it. The tire continues to make noise but you can't do anything about it because your child needs it. Then, much to your surprise, you are asked to leave the building because your child's tire is too disruptive. I wonder what would happen if that really happened?!?!?!  Do you think that would happen? I don't think there is anyone that would stoop that low and ask a person in a wheelchair to leave a building because their disability was too disruptive.  It shouldn't happen to anyone!

The other day, I was in a building with Trenton waiting for an appointment for him. Trenton was being good in my books. He was pacing the waiting room, making his noises, and jumping up and down in the waiting room chairs. I tried and tried to control him but due to his autism, he is unable to control himself.  The environment around him put him in sensory overload. The unthinkable happened after being in the waiting room for only 5 minutes. I was asked to remove my son from the building and to come back in ten to fifteen minutes because he was too disruptive.

I'm not going to lie, I lost my cool immediately. I asked this person what they expected me to do in the middle of down town Terre Haute on a busy street with a child with severe autism. They said, "take him for a walk." LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone that knows anything about how Trenton is affected by autism knows that that is not possible. In fact, it's nothing but putting my son in an extreme dangerous situation. He doesn't know danger...he escapes and pulls away from me all the time...so taking him on a walk on a busy street is stupid. I told this person that and this person said, " Just take him on walk away from this building and come back."

My child can't help that he has to pace and move 24/7. My child can't help that he has noises come from his mouth. My child can't help it...just like that child in  a wheelchair can't help that they can't walk. I should not have been asked to leave a building due to my child's disability!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER SHOULD HAVE!!!!

We live in a world where we need more awareness and education on autism. I will do it every single day until my children and all the other people with autism can live a life like everyone else.







1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Nana wasn't with you. It might have gotten ugly!! The ignorance of some people that are the so called "professionals" never ceases to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete