Sunday, June 19, 2016

Autism & Vomiting

The other day someone asked me a few questions about the boys and I completely blew them away with my answers. This person had no clue of the things that the boys and I couldn't do because of their disabilities. I explained why and they were completely dumbfounded.

Sensory problems got brought up and I was trying to explain to this person about the severity of Trenton's autism and sensory problems....again...completely amazed. They had no clue.
The sad thing is, I talk about the issues on here occasionally but it is just a very short glimpse into the challenges that come along with an autism diagnosis.  Plus, I can't even come close to touching on the majority of the challenges that come with autism. This is just a short blog that I use to advocate and educate others on and finding the time to go in-depth is hard to find.....the boys come first!

With that said, I would like to raise awareness today of an issue that many people have no clue of that accompany an autism diagnosis. I have been battling a serious issue that can turn into a very serious problem with Trenton. Challenges come and go. Many challenges with autism don't occur till the child is older. Some challenges come and stay for while and then they leave. It is autism folks.....the best way to describe autism is ......the never ending, never changing unique disability.

A challenge that I have been battling for approximately the last 5 months with Trenton is vomit! Trenton vomits from time to time. No, he is not sick when he vomits. It is actually another challenge that comes with autism.


According to autismspeaks.com...Many parents report gastrointestinal (GI) problems in their children with autism. The exact prevalence of gastrointestinal problems such as gastritis, chronic constipation, colitis and esophagitis in individuals with autism is unknown. Surveys have suggested that between 46 and 85% of children with autism have problems such as chronic constipation or diarrhea. One study identified a history of gastrointestinal symptoms (such as abnormal pattern of bowel movements, frequent constipation, frequent vomiting and frequent abdominal pain) in 70% of the children with autism.

I battled chronic diarrhea with Trenton from the time he was born till about 4 years of age. I battled doctor appointments in STL with him....had his feces tested...did test after test to yet be told again..."It is just a part of autism. Many individuals battle this."

Around 4 1/2 years of age, Trenton went from diarrhea to constipation. It was day and night with Trenton and it was BAD. I battled him waking up in the night crying his cry that he does when he is in pain. Of course he can't tell me what is wrong....oh the battles of autism are just simply heartbreaking.  I have went through many laxatives, supplements, you name it, I tried it. I have seen this child cry for literally hours because he had a rock hard stool at the opening of his bottom and it wouldn't come out. He was in real pain folks. I have seen his bottom bleed from constipation. I have had to do things that only a mother would do to help my child through his constipation. As of now, that stage is gone......for now:) It can come back tomorrow, I just never know because it changes a lot.
I know it is easy for a neurotypical parent to read this and think, " all kids have diarrhea and get constipated." However, I am talking about an every day issue. Every. Single. Day. Every. Single. Hour.....it was weeks without having a bowel movement with chronic tears from the pain. It was changing 10 plus diapers a day with his chronic diarrhea. Nothing helped...NOTHING. Not medicine....no special diet...Nothing!

However, the next issue right now that I am handling with Trenton is his vomit. He will puke and it comes out of nowhere. Most of the time it is right after he eats or within an hour after eating. If he does not vomit, he gags a lot.

Vomiting is a very common issue among kids with autism and sensory processing disorder. The following website gave me great comfort in knowing my child wasn't the only one who has autism & SPD so severe that he vomits


As always when a problems arises, I do a lot of research to find out what is the best way to handle the situation. Sadly, sometimes there is nothing that can help...it is just simply part of the disability.



No comments:

Post a Comment