Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Two Brothers One Journey: The Lovely, Courageous Struggles of an Autism Mom

In August 2014, I decided to write a book. At that time I didn't care if I could get a publisher or not to support it, I just wanted to write a book. My plan at the time was to have a few books printed through a printer store and sell them off my website. All I wanted to do and all I still want to do is to share my words. Even if my words help one person, then it was all worth it!
Much to my surprise, I did get a few publishers who were interested in my book. With that said, I went for it.  I wouldn't have been able to do it without the support of my family, especially my younger brother, Brent.

I am getting asked a lot about how I wrote the book. What is the style? Is it a biography style book that is wrote in chronological order? Well, the answer to that questions is, No.

I wanted my first book to be different than all the other memoirs on autism that I have read. I wanted my first book to not just be able to help a mother or father of a child with autism, but I wanted it to help their family....their friends...their neighbors...their community.....their therapist....their teacher....the whole world! I wanted it to be a book where anyone that knows someone with autism could read it and get something from it. Therefore, I came up with the book that I wrote.

Two Brothers One Journey: The Lovely, Courageous Struggles of an Autism Mom has 38 chapters in it. Every chapter is on a different topic. The book covers everything that I, a mother of two boys on different ends of the spectrum, have learned and endured the first six years of my autism journey. I discuss everything from the physical and mental exhaustion, heartache, and the joys of autism. I am open and honest with my feelings. I have had the pleasure of meeting and talking to numerous other autism parents since my journey and almost everything that I am honest about in my book, is what many of the other parents have expressed to me as well.

I already have received an email from a publisher who is reading my book now. She wrote me to tell me that she had a cousin with autism and my book opened up her eyes to what her aunt and late uncle went through raising her cousin. Therefore, she wrote her aunt a letter to thank her for doing everything they did for her cousin.
That my friends is exactly why I wrote my book. In my eyes, my book is already a success. All I wanted to do was to help one person and I already did:)

Released July 30, 2016
Stay tuned for more details!

1 comment:

  1. I have read everything I could get my hands on since Trenton's diagnosis. I wish I had been able to read one like this back then. It is heart wrenching to read, but is so educational, and hopefully, will be able to help others perhaps just beginning the lonely journey!

    ReplyDelete