Sunday, November 13, 2016

Birthday

Andrew had been counting down his birthday very regularly since the very beginning of October. He started talking about his birthday since August. The one thing that he kept telling me he wanted was a birthday party with "friends" there. To Andrew, everyone is his friend but he was talking specifically people his age.

After he started school and making friends became very hard for him, he started  to worry that no one would recognize his birthday let alone come to it. Andrew said numerous times, "No one likes me at school. No one will come to my party. My birthday party will be terrible." A little piece of my heart was tore away each and every time he would say that.

I witness Andrew weekly around kids his age, his peers from his class and other places. He is very socially awkward and it hurts to watch so I can't imagine what he feels like. Sadly, I have witnessed kids his own age say very mean things to him and "bully" already. It is such a huge shock to me how neurotypical children are these days and how down right mean some of them  can be. What is even sadder is how the parent reacts to their child being mean to my child. I have came to the conclusion that there are many parents out there who don't realize how lucky they are and who simply don't discipline and try to raise their child right these days.

Anyway, Andrew ended up having a wonderful party and he had two friends come besides family. Andrew was on cloud nine because he was five. He had an amazing day and socialized really well (Andrew's confidence is the best when his cousin Lincoln is around.)  I was very happy to see how happy Andrew was at his party and how he was bouncing on the bounce houses with all the other kids. It was just a reminder of how it really is the small things in life that can make us the happiest:)      
Psalm 68:19 Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears our burden, The God who is our salvation

1 comment:

  1. Andrew had a great party!! 😊 I only wish it had been possible to take Trenton. Everything is bittersweet!

    ReplyDelete