Thursday, May 25, 2017

Introduction time!

I have so many new followers! Thank you so much! I like to introduce myself from time to time so all my new followers know exactly who I am. Tonight, I want to do that while I give you a little history on myself:)

I am a  36 year old Christian autism mom to two amazing boys. I love to write about autism and to share my knowledge of IEPs and special education. I also write about my faith and how to keep it on this journey of life. I have my bachelors in special education. Very ironic! It has definitely helped me on my journey with the boys! I no longer teach. I am just a single momma who takes care of the boys and their therapies.  I published a book last year that you can find here....

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Brothers-One-Journey-Struggles/dp/1861516231/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468978526&sr=8-1&keywords=Two+Brothers+One+Journey

I enjoy doing book events for my book and speaking about autism and our life. If you know someone that needs a speaker, let me know!
 I grew up in Southern Illinois in a small town on a farm. I LOVED the small town life and farm.I grew up playing sports, loved to get dirty, and basically was a tomboy.


Now, I live in Indiana with my two sons. I LOVE to workout. Working out is my therapy:) I am a very highly involved parent. If you want to know the definition of an involved autism mom then stick around....you will learn:)

Aside from advocating and raising my boys, I love St. Louis Cardinal baseball and University of Illinois basketball. I enjoy watching the Dallas Cowboys and am a sucker for a good love story movie. I LOVE country music and enjoy singing along to it with Andrew. I try to make the best of this crazy life...the best that I can while raising a child with severe autism.



My oldest, Trenton, is 6 1/2 years old. He receives ABA full time and speech and occupational therapy. He has a lot of sensory problems. He has to be constantly moving and jumping.  He is mostly non-verbal but can say a few words when prompted a lot.  He doesn't make eye contact. He does not do anything age appropriately and probably never will. I have been through almost everything with him.  His autism is severe. He has a service dog in training! YAY!!!
I could speak all day about his challenges. However, if you follow my blog, you will eventually learn.
He loves his stuffed animals, Elmo & Friends, and youtube videos!
Andrew is 5 years old and will be starting Kindergarten next year!  He is verbal and takes language very literal which causes issues. He has a lot of anxiety. One of his biggest challenges is how to socialize properly. His anxiety takes over in situations and he becomes very socially awkward.
He easily gets fixated on something and can't get it off his mind and won't move on.  Andrew is a huge Cars ( the movie) fan. He loves to play with his Cars toys, board games, and play outside.
It is not easy watching your child live their one life with such trials and difficulties. It is hard to live a life with autism. The one disability that no one can really understand. The one disability that gets judged so often. Therefore, I decided I wanted to do as much advocating and educating that I can in order to help my boys!
Both boys have taught me so much about the important things in life. They have made me understand many things from the Bible much better.
I have my days where I get down and lonely just like you. It is very common among autism and special needs parents. It was difficult in the beginning of my autism journey to understand a lot of why questions. However, I have learned to look at the positive and try to find out what God is trying to tell me. I have learned to make the most of a difficult journey. I give all glory to God and will praise him always and forever!
Thank you so much for being a follower and a supporter! You help me just as much as I help you!!! 
 The three of us make one AWESOME team!!

No comments:

Post a Comment