Monday, May 1, 2017

My List of Top Books to Read on Autism

I have been wanting to share some of my favorite books that I have read on autism for awhile. I have read numerous books since Trenton was diagnosed. I read them because I wanted to educate myself and to prepare myself for the journey that I was embarking. The following is a list of my favorites  in no particular order.

First, I do want to remind you that I have my own book out:)

Two Brothers One Journey: The Loving, Courageous Struggles of an Autism Mom
https://www.amazon.com/Two-Brothers-One-Journey-Struggles/dp/1861516231/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1493506855&sr=8-1

1.  Carly’s Voice: Breaking Through Autism by Arthur Fleischmann with Carly Fleischmann
      Carly reminds me so much of Trenton. This book does a great job detailing what life is like with a child who is unable to communicate and who is on the severe end of the spectrum. The book is wrote by her father and Carly has some input in it as well. This book taught me a lot because Carly was eventually able to communicate at times with her parents through writing when she got older. She was able to explain why she does the things she does, etc.  This family did a lot for Carly, and they obviously had a lot of money because not everyone is able to do for their child what they did. However, I really enjoyed it. I finally found a family who had a "wild" child that didn't sleep much. I could really relate to this book on so many levels.  Wonderful book!!   

2. Silent Running: Our Family's Journey to the Finish Line With Autism by Robyn Schneider.
This is one family's story with twins who are non-verbal and severe. I enjoyed this book because the boys were always on the go just like Trenton. This family has inspired me in may ways and I have high hopes that Trenton can become a runner just like these boys. A great family where the husband and wife worked together to help their sons!

3. One of Us: A Family's Life With Autism by Mark Osteen
Wow! Great story of a family struggling to raise a child with severe autism! Again, this boy reminded me of Trenton. Definitely one of my top ones that I would recommend to people so they could read another persons words that could literally be my words!

4. Running with Walker: A Memoir       By Robert Hughes    
Another great family just struggling to raise a child with moderate to severe autism. The father just recently wrote another book that I have but had to put it down after the first chapter. Walker is now a grown man in his second book and I am not ready to read a book about that stress yet. Walker reminds me of Trenton because he was very active and would run away from his parents.  Again, a great family telling their memoir to help others!                

5.       Dancing with Max: A Mother and Son Who Broke Free by Emily Colson
I appreciate this book even more now. Emily's husband left her and she raised her son Max by herself. Max kept her on her toes just like Trenton. I laughed at some of her stories and cried as well with her.

6. The Best Kind Of Different by Shonda Schilling, wife of Major League Baseball All Star, former Red Sox pitcher, Curt Schilling. This book is great for a family who is raising a child on the higher end of the spectrum. Their son reminds me a lot of Andrew.

7. A Regular Guy: Growing up with Autism by Laura Shumacker
This was my first favorite book:) This book shared some funny and sad stories of their son. This family had two other sons who are completely neurotypical. It does a good job explaining how other children are affected by the one who has autism.

8. The Reason I Jump By Naoki Higashida
This book is wrote by a man with autism. He writes about what it is like for him and why he did things the way he did.


9. Autism's Hidden Blessings by Kelly Langston
If you are a religious person, then I think you would enjoy this book. She highlights God's  blueprint for a living a life full of joy and potential despite autism. A great uplifting book of hope!
         
10. The Out of Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder.
If your child has extreme sensory problems along with their autism then I would recommend this book. I learned a lot in this book on the sensory disorder part and how to help.  

My educational background was special education. Therefore, I have also bought and read some educational books. I also enjoyed the following educational books.


1. Engaging Autism by Stanley Greenspan and Serena Wieder
This book gives lots of practical methods for engaging children with autism. It gives ways to help cope with meltdowns...details how to help bring your child into our world...and gives various methods of therapy.

2. A Work in Progress By Ron Leaf & John McEachin.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who works with kids on the spectrum for a living. It is a behavioral management book that gives you strategies and curriculum for the treatment of behavior from autism. Its a collection of great programs for building skills as well as strategies for dealing with challenging behaviors. I keep this book close to me every single day!!!

3. Evidence Based Practices and Treatments for Children with Autism Foreword by Alan E. Kazdin
 I enjoy knowing some of the best evidence based therapies and the studies behind them which is why I enjoyed this book. This book addresses communication treatment, social awareness and social skills treatment, behavioral treatment, diets and alternative treatments, etc.
This book would be over some peoples head especially if your child isn't in therapies. However, I enjoyed it but probably because special education was my background.
My book collection is at my parents house. If I could see the collection, I am sure I would add a few more to my top list. However, these are the ones that stand out to me.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 


No comments:

Post a Comment